Pediatric Dentist For a Healthy Start
As a parent, your child’s health and well-being is your number one concern. At Kingwood Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, we are dedicated to creating an environment where open dialogue is encouraged, so we can ensure that you have a thorough understanding of any procedure or treatment being performed, and confidence that your child will receive high-quality specialized care that is designed to meet their unique needs. We are committed to providing your child with informed care that addresses their unique needs from a dentist they know and trust.
To learn more about our children’s dentistry procedures and practices, or to schedule an appointment for your child, contact us today at 281-359-9100, or visit our office, which is located at 2325 Timber Shadows Drive, Building A, Kingwood TX 77339.
We look forward to hearing from you, and are committed to providing your child with exceptional quality dental care that will ensure they enjoy a lifetime of healthy teeth and receive the treatment they need.
Common Children’s Dentistry Procedures
Every child will have unique dental needs and require different levels of support at different stages of their development, but one of the most common procedures that is performed is cavity repair. Because children’s teeth are not as strong as adult teeth, even the most diligent of parents can have a child develop cavities, despite following a rigorous oral-care practice at home. If cavities do develop, they can be addressed using a filling that is made of composite, amalgam, or glass ionomer.
Another common service we provide children are regular checkups and cleanings. Like adults, we recommend scheduling these cleanings every six months, or with greater frequency if necessary. During these checkups, we can provide a deep cleaning and remove debris and plaque. These regular exams also provide an opportunity to evaluate your child’s oral health and development, and identify and correct any issues before they develop into something more significant.
Helping Your Child Avoid Tooth Decay
One of the most important services we offer to our clients is preventative support, which is especially important for children. Our staff is committed to helping your child follow proper self-care on a consistent basis, and will engage with them in a friendly manner to reduce the risk of them developing “dental phobia” later in life. We are also committed to helping new parents understand and implement best practices for taking care of newborn baby teeth. Some of the most important steps you can take as a new parent to help your child avoid tooth decay and enjoy good oral health include:
- Following a feeding, wipe your child’s teeth with a damp cloth to remove milk or formula, which if left uncleaned, can result in decay. This is especially important to do before they go to sleep.
- Wean your child from bottled milk or breast feeding by the age of one. Doing so will significantly reduce their risk of developing jaw growth issues, and prevent decay that can develop because of excessive sucking.
- As soon as the first tooth appears, you can begin brushing it. Use a soft bristled brush and water at first until your dentist has assured you that your child is ready for toothpaste (in small amounts)
- When they are old enough to brush their own teeth, continue monitoring to ensure they are brushing appropriately
- Avoid or limit sugary foods and drinks, especially around bedtime
- If your child does have a sugary drink, using a straw will limit the exposure of the sugar on their teeth
Understanding and implementing these best practices will have a significantly positive impact on your child’s ability to chew, speak, and develop and maintain good oral health.
Teaching Proper Oral Self-Care
Although it is important to take good daily care of your teeth and overall health, it is also important to perform correct self-care. One of the most important parts of self-care involves brushing your teeth properly. Although we will be happy to demonstrate proper brushing techniques to your child in our office, the basic steps involve the following:
- Brush should be positioned towards the gums at a 45-degree angle
- Brushing should be done gently in short circular motions back and forth
- Brush all areas of the teeth (front, back, and tops), taking special care to reach the back molars
- Brush vertically when cleaning the inside surfaces of your front teeth
- Brush for two minutes, twice daily
- Replace your toothbrush every three or four months
Cost for Children’s Dentistry
The cost of providing your child with the care they need will depend upon what type and how many procedures are being performed and what insurance coverage from your dental plan can be applied. It is important to be aware that you are fully responsible for all fees of treatment, and payment is due at the time of service, regardless of your insurance coverage. Monthly payment plans can be arranged, but this will need to be accomplished prior to the procedure being performed. Although we will not have a contractual arrangement with your provider, our staff is happy to assist with processing your insurance claim to ensure that you maximize your benefits and receive the high-quality care you need and deserve. For your convenience, we accept Mastercard, Visa and Discover.
Schedule an Appointment Today
Scheduling an appointment for your child is the first and most important step towards ensuring they enjoy a lifetime of good oral health. At Kingwood Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, we are dedicated to creating an environment where open dialogue is encouraged, so we can ensure you have a thorough understanding of the procedure being performed, and confidence that you are receiving high-quality specialized care designed to meet your unique needs.
To learn more about our children’s dentistry procedures and methodologies, or to schedule an appointment, contact us today at 281-359-9100, or visit our office, which is located at 2325 Timber Shadows Drive, Building A, Kingwood TX 77339.
We look forward to hearing from you, and are committed to providing your child with exceptional quality dental care that is designed to meet their unique needs!